Jun 12, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and Coraline

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 4 in 3D yesterday. It's mostly pretty predictable, even if I haven't even watched the first three movies yet, but it's still quite an enjoyable movie. I think this is the first time I've watched a live action movie in 3D.

I love the mermaid scenes, it was so magical. Everyone one of them were amazingly pretty, but the mermaid Syrena is one of the prettiest girls I've ever seen. She really delicate and innocent looking, and her accent makes her sound so cute. She has that really pretty European/French look, and if you look the actress up on youtube, she looks amazing in some of her ads.

I'm just very partial to mythology, made up or otherwise. Especially the about things and people that looks beautiful but are actually very dangerous. I love the contrast.

I also watched Coraline on a friend's iPad and got half way through Mulan. It was Athletics Carnival and there wasn't much to do. I quite liked Coraline, but I don't know if I'm just a scaredy cat or what, but I don't recommend watching it at night by yourself, it can get creepy. The soundtrack is really good.

Coraline is based on a book of the same name by Neil Gaiman, and he's one of my favourite authors. He's one of the few author's I actually remember the name of. He wrote Stardust, which I enjoyed, and he was also the writer for a graphic novel series called Sandman. That series is one of my absolute favourites, it's about 7 entities, more powerful than gods, called Endless, and focuses on one of them in particular, Dream. It's a wonderful mix of mythology and legend and magic, the words he writes just sounds very, I don't know, deep and meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment